Sunday 4 February 2007

reading list

Read quite a bit since February 4th - read The Custom of the Country - ultimately shallow - The Reef - too rarefied in the character of Anna and the background of Givre but Darrow is brilliantly drawn - Xingu - pretty funny - begun Summer and Ethan Frome. Also Richard Mabey's Flora Britannica and Food for Free, and Keble Martin, spring has come very early this year, and after a trip to the London Wetlands Centre with an ornithologist friend, the Collins Bird Guide. Also Lucia in London by EF Benson, better than Queen Lucia, more consistently funny, various Chalet School books, the works of Gerard Manley Hopkins and The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar. And probably a bundle of other things I've completely forgotten. Some of The Bostonians.

But most importantly I have finished Hard Times, which means I've read my two Dickens to my partner's one Jane Austen (Mansfield Park). Which means we can have a new bargain, he can read The Portrait of a Lady and I daresay he's got some awful fate in store for me. He gave up on The Age of Innocence saying 'nothing happens'. I thought he'd see similarities between himself and Newland Archer. No, he was just bored.

No comments: